Sunday, August 18, 2013

CANNABIS FOR HYPOGYYCEMIA

My Mom's cannabis questions answered for her own ailments. Choose nature : )


This blog is dedicated to my Mom who is open to learning everyday. Love you Grammy. XOXO


What is hypoglycemia?

Hypoglycemia, also called low blood glucose or low blood sugar, occurs when blood glucose drops below normal levels.  Glucose, an important source of energy for the body, comes from food.  Carbohydrates are the main dietary source of glucose.  Rice, potatoes, bread, tortillas, cereal, milk, fruit, and sweets are all carbohydrate-rich foods.

After a meal, glucose is absorbed into the bloodstream and carried to the body’s cells. Insulin, a hormone made by the pancreas, helps the cells use glucose for energy.  If  a person takes in more glucose than the body needs at the time, the body stores the extra glucose in the liver and muscles in a form called glycogen. The body can use glycogen for energy between meals.  Extra glucose can also be changed to fat and stored in fat cells.  Fat can also be used for energy.

When blood glucose begins to fall, glucagon—another hormone made by the pancreas—signals the liver to break down glycogen and release glucose into the bloodstream.  Blood glucose will then rise toward a normal level.  In some people with diabetes, this glucagon response to hypoglycemia is impaired and other hormones such as epinephrine, also called adrenaline, may raise the blood glucose level. 

Hypoglycemia can happen suddenly.  It is usually mild and can be treated quickly and easily by eating or drinking a small amount of glucose-rich food.  If left untreated, hypoglycemia can get worse and cause confusion, clumsiness, or fainting.  Severe hypoglycemia can lead to seizures, coma, and even death.
In adults and children older than 10 years, hypoglycemia is uncommon except as a side effect of diabetes treatment.  Hypoglycemia can also result, however, from other medications or diseases, hormone or enzyme deficiencies, or tumors.


Testimonials: 

“The symptoms of my Hypoglycemia were much less significant when I was smoking.. . .”
“I am hypoglycemic and I have a difficult time eating as frequently as I should. . . . “
“It helps me with appetite, nausea, pain, and it calms me down quckly if my blood sugar goes too low and I get hypo-crazy. “
“No effect on my blood sugar- even helped the day-to-day because I hate eating so dang often and pot makes that a real joy. “
“Eating foods made with the canna butter helped  my hypoglycemia immensely.”
“I am hypoglycemic and I have a difficult time eating as frequently as I should without marijuana.  I also have hypersensitivity, so my body can't handle a lot of foods and it's always painful to eat and digest (even raw organic foods). I have an extremely hard time keeping food down and managing nausea and stomach/intestine pain.  Pills are too harsh on my stomach and the only thing that's worked for me is marijuana.  I prefer vaporizing rather than smoking because my body is so sensitive, and the carcinogens in the smoke can make me feel even worse.”

“I am  hypoglycemic also, and let me tell you, mary jane has been my savior on some days....I also get chronic stomach pains, and I've been using northern lights to combat it, and things work well.”
“Cannabis being an appetite stimulant is a very positive effect for me since I experience nausea and lack of appetite every day.  I guess it's important to not wait too long after smoking to eat something so my blood sugar won't drop too low.”

“I smoke weed because I need to eat every 2 hours and when it comes to breakfast, lunch and dinner it is hard for me to eat, even if I do small portions.

Hypoglycemia-- Symptom Treatments:
A. Medical marijuana (cannabinoids) stabilize blood sugar
B. Marijuana does not block the body’s response to hypoglycemia
C. Marijuana relieves stress
D. Marijuana relieves anxiety
E. Marijuana is an appetite stimulant
F. Marijuana relieves nausea
G. Marijuana relieves stomach pains

Eat a varied diet:  five to six small portion meals everyday.



No comments:

Post a Comment